Monday, October 31, 2016

31 Days of Money-Saving Tips: Day #30 - Upgrade Instead of Buying New


One money-saving tip that I have discovered over the years is that upgrading is almost always cheaper than buying new.  Now I don't know if this can also be applied to things like insurance, or cars, but I know that it definitely applies to home decor.  As you can see in the picture above, I am a devote lover of spray paint, and I feel as though it can make almost anything better.  Instead of going out and buying new lamps, or frames, or end tables, spray paint your old ones for a fresh look at a fraction of the cost.  I have done this with knick-knacks as well.  Now, what about things that you can't spray paint?  Well, see if there is another way that you can upgrade them instead of buying new...
  • Make or buy new pillow cases instead of a whole new throw pillow
  • Keep your same wreath on your front door and just add a few flowers from the Dollar Tree instead of buying a whole new wreath
  • Change out the hardware on your dresser or desk instead of buying a new piece of furniture
So, instead of buying new, see if you can upgrade the existing item instead.  Not only is it 'greener,' but it can save you some green as well!


Photos for this series are from Flickr.  They are pictures that are under the license of ‘commercial and mods allowed.’  Edits were done by me.  The licensor does not endorse me or my use.

1 comment:

  1. Very informative article. Thanks for the tips. I buy new things when I can't use it anymore. So, I think now that I need to fix it maybe and make it new and useful again. If you guys are looking for Christmas gifts at https://www.gearbubble.com/ is a perfect site for you to make your loved one smile.

    ReplyDelete