Thursday, July 21, 2016

Crock-pot Pork, Sauerkraut, and Mashed Potatoes

I hesitated to post this or not since this is really a non-recipe, but then I decided that it might give someone some inspiration, so I would be selfish not to share.  So, anyway, below is my recipe for Pork, Sauerkraut, and Mashed Potatoes all done in 2 crock-pots...
As you can see from above, the pork and sauerkraut part is as easy as dumping both into a crock-pot (I use the liners, because having less dishes to wash is never a bad thing).  I have used a pork roast, pork tips, pork chops, and pork loin in this recipe, so which ever you have on hand or use the one that your family prefers - it's totally up to you, they are all yummy options.  If you have some chicken stock or broth, add a splash of that too for flavor (but it's definitely optional).  Just to give an idea portion-wise, I used 5 small pork chops in the crock-pot above and 2 cans of sauerkraut for my family of 3, and we had leftovers.  I put the 2 ingredients in the crock-pot, and let it cook away on low for 6-8 hours, or until the pork is done. 
Now, as for the mashed potatoes, you can cook them in the crock-pot as well.  I will do a different post outlining that recipe, but I do want to share another option with you today.  I buy the Simply Potatoes pre-made mashed potatoes in the refrigerator section at the grocery store when they are on sale and I have coupons, and then, I stick them in the freezer - shhh...  I know it says not to on the box, but I have NEVER had a problem doing this.  The night before I want mashed potatoes I stick them in the fridge.  In the morning I dump them in a lined crock-pot and add a splash of milk.  That part is important for nice creamy smooth mashed potatoes.  I let them warm on low for 4-6 hours, stirring here and there to get any lumps out and to make sure they heat evenly.  I'm not sure if the stirring is necessary, but I do it anyway. 
Below is the finished product - delicious pork, sauerkraut, and mashed potatoes:

 What's your favorite way to eat sauerkraut?
Have you tried a two-crock-pot meal before?
Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment