Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Tempt Your Tummy Tuesday: Homemade Brownies

I have been looking for recipes for boxed mixes using items that I keep in my pantry on a regular basis.  Most recipes include the same ingredients, so it was just a matter of playing around with the amounts, etc.  This works well during a pantry challenge, where the only thing I'd have to make sure I had was the eggs.  I also like that this dry mix can be made ahead of time, stored in bags/jars, and then you just add the wet items when you decide you want some brownies.  I used the Ghirardelli cocoa I already had for these, I think I might try it with the ALDI cocoa next time and see how it turns out.  I use the Ghirardelli for my homemade icing, and it's not cheap, so we'll see how it turns out.  However, these brownies are AMAZING, especially warm, and with ice cream.  They are better than any boxed mix I've had, but they only make an 8" pan.  I'm going to try doubling the recipe next time to see if I can get a 8x13" out of it.  Anyway, without further ado, the best brownie recipe ever...  and just is time for Valentine's day!

Dry: 
1 c Sugar (I used raw)
2/3 c Flour (I used unbleached)
1/2 c Cocoa (I used Ghirardelli, which turned out rich and fabulous)
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt

Wet:
1/2 c Oil (I used Safflower)
2 Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla

Optional: 1/4 c Chopped Walnuts or Chocolate Chips, Powdered Sugar

1.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 8" baking pan.
2.) Mix together dry ingredients.
3.) Add wet ingredients to dry, and blend well.
4.) Stir in mix ins if using (optional).
5.) Pour into greased pan, and bake for 15 minutes, rotate pan and bake 15 minutes more.
6.) Cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar (optional), and cut into bars.  Also try not to eat the whole pan by yourself, as it is totally possible!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment