Saturday, June 1, 2013

Frugal Finds Friday: Reusing Pickle Juice

 Joe and I LOVE our pickles, but they can be a little pricy, so I was looking for some recipes online.  Nothing was very simple though.  I also hate throwing away things that can be reused in another way.  As I posted previously in regards to tomato juice.  So, when Joe and I finished our most recent jar of pickles, I decided to have a little experiment.  I bought a cucumber from ALDI for $0.59, and sliced it into spears, and put those spears in my leftover pickle juice, put the container in the fridge, and then I waited.  Two weeks later, I tried a 'pickle' spear, and they are seriously yum-o!  Not as salty as the original pickle spears, but still very tasty.  We'll definitely be making these again, and again!  As your pickle juice amount lessens, just top off with a little white vinegar, so your pickles stay covered.

4 comments:

  1. This is brilliant! I make my own pickles during canning season but when we run out we have to buy them, and I always HATED throwing away good juice! I am totally going to try this, and I am going to cross post on my blog.:) This is like one of those holy grail homesteader things. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

      Delete
  2. Have you seen the lime ones? I can't wait to try this! Since we have a lime tree, I might try adding it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lime pickles? Never heard of them, but in MD we don't have such nice citrus fruit trees. You'll have to let me know how they turn out. :-)

      Delete