Saturday, February 2, 2013

Frugal Finds Friday: Slower Cooker Beans

I have discovered the joys of freezer cooking, and I am finding new ways to get food into the freezer without a lot of work.  Cooking beans in the crock-pot is not only cheaper than buying canned, but healthier as well, and so easy!
I sorted 3 cups dried Pinto Beans, and washed them thoroughly.
I put them in the crock-pot with enough water to cover them, plus a little more, and a little salt. 
I let them cook on low for 8 hours, and then let them cool until I could touch the crock.
I measured the beans out into freezer bags, by the cup, I ended up with 5-1 cup bags for the freezer (which equals about 5 cans), plus 2 cups to use in my 2 lbs of taco meat.
Healthy, easy, and FRUGAL!

What kind of frugal finds did you discover this week?

Linked to Works for Me Wednesday!

1 comment:

  1. I've only frozen beans once and I need to do this again. Thanks for the reminder! Found you on Mostly Homemade Monday and would love to have you share this today on The Creative HomeAcre Hop!
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/02/the-creative-homeacre-hop.html

    ReplyDelete