Saturday, May 18, 2013

Frugal Finds Friday: Saving/Repurposing Tomato Juice


I started making my own salsa a few months ago, with each batch taking 1 large can of drained whole tomatoes.  Being the frugal person I am, I couldn't just toss that free tomato juice down the drain!  So, I save it.  I measure it out; each can holds about 1 cup.  I pour the tomato juice into a zip-lock bag or a ball freezer jar, label, and wait until I need it for something.  I've drank the juice, as you would V8, very tasty.  I've also added it to beef stew, chili, vegetable soup, and cooked ground beef in it.  It gives these meals a little punch of extra flavor!

What interesting things do you save from the trash and give new life to?

 Linked to Homemade Mondays!

6 comments:

  1. Funny because I left the juice in the tomato sauce that I was making and added more tomato paste because I didn't want to waste the juice either :) I have been working to make other things with the tomato paste and sauce in the cupboard. I use them for Salsa sloppy joes and homemade enchilada sauce! I have a bag of frozen pineapple juice because I used the pineapples and not the juice so I was planning on using it for a marinade :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good ideas - salsa sloppy joes sound amazing! I use leftover pineapple juice in smoothies, and when I make a pineapple upside cake, I use the juice instead of water in the cake mix - very yummy!

      Delete
  2. I wash all my rinds well (orange, clementine, lemon and grapefruit) , I then slice them into thin slivers, let them dry and store them into a jar. I then use them in hot/cold tea, water, punch, and marmalade.
    Lottie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to try this over the winter with my orange peels. Thanks Lottie!

      Delete
  3. Great minds think alike! I can't throw mine out either! lol

    Here's what I do!
    http://cottagesweetcottage.blogspot.com/2013/03/what-to-do-with-leftover-tomato.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent idea - I'll have to try that next time. I'm glad to know I'm not alone in my inability to toss good things :)

      Delete