Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Works for me Weds: Homemade Fruit and Jell-o Cups

When my husband was working he LOVED the fruit and gelatin bowls that Dole has out.  I was glad that he was eating some fruit without me begging, however, at $2.50 a 4 pk, it was getting a little outrageous.  So, I decided that I could make them at home for a fraction of the cost, and I did, and continue to today!  All you need is some fruit (I used Geisha canned peaches, drained, recently on sale at Walgreen's for $0.79), and a box of gelatin, any flavor will do, but Joe's favorites are orange and strawberry (usually about $0.20 a box at Rite-Aid and Walgreen's on sale). 

I bought these handy little plastic containers awhile ago, and I been reusing them for years now.  All you do is separate your fruit amongst your plastic containers (1 box of gelatin makes about 4 or 5, depending on the size of your container).  Mix up your gelatin and pour in evenly into each plastic container, over the fruit.  Top each container with it's lid, and put them in the refrigerator to solidify.  I usually make a double batch of gelatin with 1 can of peaches, so that there is enough for the week.
Cost for ready-made 4 pk: $2.50
Cost for homemade version: $0.79 + $0.20 = $0.99/4-5 servings
= a savings of at least $1.51 per package!
If you decide to try these, please leave a comment on how it went, and what fruit and gelatin flavor you used!  Enjoy!
For more AWESOME tips and tricks, visit We are that Family!

No comments:

Post a Comment